Hanaa Sadallah

A small German contribution to Finnish language

Did you know that Finnish is so hard to learn because about 93% of its words are of genuine Finnish origin? I learned so during my visit to our Finnish sales partner Linterm last week.

Just to give you a reference value – German has about 54% of genuine words, and the remaining 46% come from other languages, e. g. Latin and English. I’ve been dealing with Finnish projects (and therefore to a certain degree also with Finnish itself), for the last four years, but I’ve never managed to learn more than a handful of words closely related to my work, such as “parveke” (“balcony”), “talo” (”house”) and “pilari” (“column”). I’ve also learned that there is no genuine Finnish term for “cantilever balcony”, as cantilever slabs are not often part of the traditional way of construction; traditionally, Finnish balconies are rather supported slabs. However, in the last few years a new Finnish term with German origin has been established for “cantilever balcony” – the “Schöck balcony”. Striking, isn’t it? And a very impressive demonstration of how far you can get with people being convinced of the products and dedicated to their work. It’s Lennart Söderström’s and Mats Lindgren’s achievement, and we all can be proud of it.


  Weiterempfehlen Mail Facebook
1 Kommentar zu "A small German contribution to Finnish language"
werner hein schreibt am 8. November 2011 um 08:31

Wer hätte das gedacht, daas wir in Finnland das Tempo Syndrom bekommen. Gut so.
werner hein

Kommentar verfassen